These buildings have not been so stable apart from the Church. According to Whelan - The 1884 Church dedicated to St. Paul, situated in Trimdon Colliery, is a plain brick structure with stone facings, in early English Style consisting of nave only. It was built by subscription at a cost of £1,200 two acres of land being given by the Wilkinson family. The interior fillings are of pitch pine, and will seat 200 persons, a burial ground is attached.
The living is a vicarage, in the patronage of the Bishop of Durham : gross value £300 : Rev. Oates Sagar M .A. Vicar. This church was built for the ecclesiastical District of Deaf Hill cum Langdale, which was formed chiefly out of Trimdon Parish. The church still stands in the churchyard as originally but the church yard is now full and a new cemetery is used on Thornley Road. Many of the kerbs surrounding the graves have been removed (by permission) to make grass cutting easier. The Church now has a clock tower which was erected in 1950 which is a boon to the villagers.
According to Whelan in 1894, the Wesleyan chapel was at the top of the Colliery in 1845 but in 1912 a new one was built at the end of Rodwell Street. The site of the old one was used for the Imperial Picture Hall . When the foundation stone of the new chapel building was laid, Deaf Hill school children had a half day holiday to attend. When the Primitives and the Wesleyans merged, the services were held in the Primitive Chapel and the Rodwell St. Building was used as a training school for out - of - work boys, then later it became a Warehouse for the nearby Gatenby shop.
The original Primitive chapel was a small building next to the Post Office in the Square. This was found too small so in 1900 another one was built at the top of Station Bank. There were high steps to the chapel and low ones to the basement. The original chapel became the Mens Reading Room, but is now no more. By 1994 the Chapel needed repairs, and the upkeep being expensive, the congregation set to work very hard to build a new one on the same site, holding their services in the near by St. Paul's church. In the past, some woman worshippers wore a small black bonnet type of hat because they were in the Pentecostal League. Before the middle of the century, a wooden but was built next to where the Welfare now stands. This was for the salvation Army and their band. Sorry to say, this was disbanded and the but had many changes - a bingo hall, a grocery shop, called the tin tops, a car service shop, but it is now empty.