Mr. Reuben Ellis, Councillor
Thanks to him with his fellow workers we still have a Trimdon Grange. In 1951 It was in the doldrums and classed as category D, but thanks be to this stalwart, he fought and fought and finally the stigma was removed. Since then, many improvements have been made. The pit heap removed, the old plantain demolished to make way for a new modern housing estate etc.
Mrs. Whitehead, the wife of St. Paul's Church Vicar.
Worked hard in the Community. She ran the Mother's Union and the G.F.S. - Girls Friendly Society, she helped the girls to compete in all the G.F.S. county competitions, dancing, craft work, singing, drama etc.
Mr. Dan Fidiam
Another well known business man bringing trade to Trimdon. He started in is small way by taking watches for repair. Next he opened a shop selling gramophones, then to wireless sets, and television sets after the war.
Mr George Todd
George Todd who had a broken back due to a fall of stone in the pits, enchanted "tiny people with his lovely singing voice.
Mr. Cecil Hodgson
He was the village cobbler, working in a huge but at the side of the pit heap where now stands Dr. Sre's surgery. He cycled all round, despite the fact he had an artificial leg.
Mrs. Margaret Ann Harrison nee Thubron of Durham
She came as a young girl 17 years old to teach in the little school by Trimdon Grange crossings about 1874. She roused the women's attention because she wore a hat, which was unusual as the headgear then was a shawl or a man's cap. When Deaf Hill school was opened in 1912 she went there as infants headmistress. During the 1st world war her daughter Mrs. Brown was pressed into service there, as was Mrs. Brown's daughter Cicely. Three generations teaching together and Mr. Harrison also head of the boys Foundry school.
Mr. Leather Watson
The nickname 'Leather' because Mr. Watson dealt in leather, boots and shoes. He had a business in Ellis Street, Trimdon Colliery, which is now called Commercial or Front Street. His fame though was mostly for his "Red Bottle". This was a medicine made of secret ingredients which was a rubbing bottle to cure all aches and pains and a few drops could even be taken inwardly.
His nephew, the veteran runner and long jumper, Len Watson, has the formula and swears by it. Len has travelled to many countries and won numerous trophies. He is still running in 1955. He was born in 1914.
Alderman George Robson
He was a fighter for the workers rights. At sixteen he was one of the survivors of the Trimdon Grange explosion on 16.2 1882. He wrote a poem of this harrow-ing experience, included in this book.
Mr. Botcherly, Headmaster of the Grange School
Started at the ladies choir. They were all dressed alike and give concerts in the Colliery Church institute, in the first world war. Later he organised a very successful Operatic Society. They played to packed audiences.
Miss Alice Robson
A daughter of the above Alderman Robson, born in 1886, was a well known character. She was a member of the Women's Services of the Crown. In 1918 she joined Queen Mary's Women's Auxiliary, being promoted to the rank of Sergeant Major. She worked for many organisations in Australia. Because of her work in many organisations, she was invited to have tea with the Queen Mother. She was nanny to the famous authoress, Mary Stewart, when the Stewarts lived in Trimdon.
Became a well known heart specialist at Freeman's Hospital. His father followed T. L. Scott in the chemist shop.
Mr. Jim Howie
About 1928, eight of the primitive chapel men held a supper and sang several items. From this small beginning a male voice choir was formed under Mr. Howie's direction, with Miss Lizzie Berriman as pianist. It later swelled to have 60 members but alas it is now down to less. Mrs. Polly Grieves followed Miss. Berriman as pianist until her death when nearing ninety.
Mr. Chris Preston
Was taken a prisoner in the 2nd World War and kept up his fellow mans moral by organising concerts. He is the present leader of the well renowned choir.
Mr. Jack Temple
One of the good bass singers, Jack Temple, rejected an offer to join the D'oyley Carte Opera company.
Mr. Thomas Hill
He lit up Trimdon (village) in 1900 with acetylene gas lighting. His brother had a jeweller's shop in Ellis Street, Trimdon Colliery. He was also a watch maker, one of his watches even now is still working. This is a copy of the letter sent to Mr. Thomas Hill :- (the watchmaker brother also provided gas lighting)
Trimdon Parish Council Offices
21st October 1902
T. W. Wilkinson
I have much pleasure in stating that the installation of Acetylene Gas, put down by you, for the above Council in the village of Trimdon, has given every satis-faction, also the generator has proved that your make is undoubtedly first class, we have had the installation two seasons, being put down in 1900, and can t herefore speak with confidence as to the success of the installations in the Parish of Trimdon, one at Trimdon Grange and one at Trimdon Colliery (put down by another firm) but these do not give anything like the satisfaction that yours have done.
We have a saving of over one third of carbide from the generator supplied by you, besides a much steadier and more brilliant light, and the saving of carbide alone is a consideration. We have now commenced our third season and the installation is working perfectly satisfactory, in fact I have been repeatedly told by commercial gentlemen who are compelled in the performance of their duties to travel late at night, that we have the best village lighting in the county.
I am Sir,
T. W. Wilkinson Clerk to the Trimdon Parish Council.
To Mr. Thomas Hill, Derwent Cottages, Medomsley R.S.O.
Mr. Fred Hope, Received the award M.B.E. for all his ambulance and first aid work at the pit and in the village.
Mr. Hill the jeweller also provided gas, as well as designing and making watches